Saturday, December 12, 2009

Review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians - The Sea of Monsters (Book 2)

I really liked the first book so, naturally, I wanted to read more. I bought the sequel as soon as I can~


Percy Jackson and the Olympians - The Sea of Monsters (Book 2)
by Rick Riordan
When Thalia’s tree is mysteriously poisoned, the magical borders of Camp Half-Blood begin to fail. Now Percy and his friends have just days to find the only magic item powerful to save the camp before it is overrun by monsters. The catch: they must sail into the Sea of Monsters to find it. Along the way, Percy must stage a daring rescue operation to save his old friend Grover, and he learns a terrible secret about his own family, which makes him question whether being the son of Poseidon is an honor or a curse.

=== What I Did Not Like:
  • When the bloody hell did the empathy link between Grover and Percy occur? Either my memory fails me or that only happened for plot convenience.
  • I'm getting a little tired of Annabeth reacting negatively but not saying why because she wants to keep her dark secrets but will tell him eventually anyway. Okay, it's just the second book . . . maybe she hasn't trusted him that much yet. But if that happens again on the third book . . . I don't know.
  • Why the hell does this series have the typical "adults being TOO UNBELIEVABLY UNREASONABLE" thing???!!! On the first book, Zeus was kinda like that. But now Mr.D and the new annoying school official are also like that! Oh geez, how could they be too blind from the obvious? Too narrow-minded? Too stubborn? Too inconsiderate? I'm getting annoyed when grown-ups were being depicted that way.
  • Percy has to rescue his friend who is in grave danger. BUT BEFORE THAT, he participated in some race, did detention, had marshmallows in the campfire, and had a chit chat with a new divine character. When someone is in great danger, one should respond at once, right? But no, Percy took the time. Perhaps to make the book thicker? Ugghh. . . .
=== What I Liked:
  • The main trio in this book isn't the same set as the main trio in the previous book. I like the inconsistency. It doesn't always have to be the three of them all the time.
  • Our main characters didn't receive all the glory, or at least the main one, on the quest in this book. I like that because it's different from his popular counterpart (you know who I mean), who is The Hero in ALL the books (if I remember correctly). Okay, either the hero or the miracle survivor.
  • I have been impressed that the main character's rival/nemesis in this book has been a female (they're usually of the same sex in most fantasy series). I like the difference. I also liked it that they could also work together, not be in bad terms even during important times (I mean, as early as now, not on the latest books).
=== Fangurling:
  • I like Hermes . . . BECAUSE HE SAYS HE'S THE GENIUS THAT INVENTED THE INTERNET! *bows to him* Haha!
  • I like Tyson . . . because he also likes CHICKEN HORSES and FISH PONIES!!!! Bwahahahaha~ Yay to love for horsies~
  • The "C.C." here had the same code name as my goddess from a Japanese series called "Code Geass". And it was mentioned that she's a very very very beautiful woman. Like my goddess. That made me delighted~
  • I really love it that this book is narrated in Percy's point of view. He was funny in the first book, and he's even funnier in the second one! Hahahahha!
  • Luke . . . why?! How could you do that to Annabeth . . . how could you . . .
=== Overall Thoughts:
I can't say if this was better than the first book, because both have been equally fun for me. It had the similar flaws, but it still had some good and entertaining stuff to make up for those. Not to mention more hilarious! I like that . . . .continue entertaining me~

=== Next Books Initial Thoughts:
I'll be reading the third book next and I have a feeling that that one will be better than these two books. And yeah . . . I'm actually already . . . a little spoiled on some events in the later books. Hehe.

=== Verdict:
Rating: B+ (WOW! I am very impressed!)
Favoritism: 3.5 out of 5 Hearts (LOVE)

No comments:

Post a Comment